Our fermenting was a success! Well, mostly. After about a week I decided the pickles and beets were done. The method I used to tell…I was tired of skimming the crud off the top every day, and they tasted good. Very scientific, I know.
I’m not sure if it’s the kind of salt we used (a mixture of pickling salt and kosher salt), the recipe we used (1 tablespoon of salt per cup of water) or if it’s just us, but the pickles were unbearably salty. As in, they made your mouth hurt. To remedy this I strained them out of the brine and we are keeping them in water in the fridge. This seems to have reduced the salt, so they are now deliciously edible and super crunchy.
We will definitely do this again next year, but I’d love to find a way to cut down the salt so that we can store them in brine since I assume that would make them last longer, and probably increase the probiotics.